Monday, August 11, 2008

8/10/08--Camp Whitcomb-Mason

Here they are, in arbitrary order: The top 10 highlights of the Camp Whitcomb-Mason Triathlon.



10. A chilly morning prevented me from arriving in my usual red sassy shorts. Instead I kept my ginormous blue scrub pajama bottoms until it warmed a little. I won't complain; a chilly morning means comfortable race weather, in this case sunny and 72 degrees.

9. Camp's bike route is known for its hills--big and small, steep and rolling, all adorned with the curse words of triathletes who just want to finish, damnit. I put my quads to the test in this race, and did okay.




8. At the lakefront some top 80s tunes were blaring from the sound system, so my warm-up turned quickly from a jog around camp to some dancing.




7. My father-in-law Dan braved the hilly bike course and trail run to make CWM his first triathlon. Here he is putting pre-race nerves aside to pose in his stylin' swim cap.




6. I also look cute in a swim cap.




5. I began working summers at Camp Whitcomb-Mason in 1996, and still have friends there today. This place holds a special spot in my heart--it was here at the fire ring, singing songs like "Princess Pat" and "Friends" that I began to learn who I am. I never in a million years thought I could finish the triathlon, though.



4. The delicious banana nut muffins were free to athletes after the race.


3. The lake was a bath-water 79 degrees, but the first and last 50 yards (not the middle) were marred with seaweed. I will use it as my excuse for the slow swim time. Yes. Seaweed.


2. Of course, my lobster Erika was on hand as my photographer and athletic supporter, as I am eager to point out in this snapshot.



1. The majority of volunteers in this race are camp summer staff. This means you will encounter twentysomethings at every turn singing "Boom Chicka Boom", doing the wave for you, or naively but supportively cheering "Almost there!" when you have four miles left to bike and a 5K to run. They're the best volunteers of any race I've done.


Next race--Pleasant Praire Triathlon, Olympic distance.

1 comment:

Maggie, Dammit said...

Damn seaweed.

And you DO look cute in a swimming cap!

Awesome pictures.