Saturday, February 16, 2008

I don't get it.

I fully admit that I don't follow baseball. And perhaps the answer I seek is obvious to someone who does, and I'll be happy to hear it if anyone out there can explain it to me.

The first national news story the other night was about Robert Clemens' testimony before Congress on his alleged juicing. The coverage included footage of his comments as well as those of his accuser and personal trainer, with color commentary from another former baseball great. I understand that steroid use is illegal. I also happen to think the use of performance-enhancing drugs in professional sports is weak and cowardly. What I don't understand is why this is the concern of the U.S. Congress.

First of all, Major League Baseball is a corporation not controlled by the U.S. Government, right? If any other private company has scandal or legal troubles our government doesn't step in. Why now?
Secondly, if a federal law against doping has been violated, wouldn't it be addressed through the judicial branch, not the legislative branch?
And finally....in a time of two wars, no health care, recessive economy, broken educational system, stolen civil liberties, lost jobs, etc. etc., doesn't Congress have anything better to do?

2 comments:

greg said...

I have tried to like baseball...going to games are fun, but that is more for the social aspect and making fun of people. I think the best time to be a baseball fan was back in the 20's through the 60's. I am not saying these guys were angels, but they were gods and inspirations and loved playing. Now it is about money, drugs and more money. I try to like baseball, but there is no magic anymore.

Alicia said...

You, my friend, are correct. It's so disappointing that baseball has become this slugger's battlefield and that some people feel they have to use drugs to compete. But this circus is ridiculous.

The older I get, the more I like baseball. I think it helped to move to a city whose baseball team was actually in the playoffs the year I moved here and then won a record number of games the following season (always to be crushed by the Yankees in the playoffs, alas).