Sunday, June 22, 2008

Step One: Get back on.

Today was my first workout since the accident. I went down to our building's fitness center and pedaled for an hour on a recumbent bike (sitting=safer).

TANGENT: I wear an eye patch (temporarily) to correct the double vision and rest the left eye in hopes of healing the broken nerves there. My sweet loving supportive lobster calls me a pirate and sticks random "AAARRR!!s" into conversations at least 18 times a day. Point is, a recumbent bike is a seated position and therefore more stable than on my feet. I went for a walk around the block yesterday, and in an experiment of curiosity removed the eye patch to test balance. I stumbled off the sidewalk and I'm pretty sure I trampled on my neighbor's flowerbed.

I didn't try any hills or any speed intervals today. My RPMs and my pace were off. I didn't feel as strong.

I was slow. But I'm comin' back.