Sunday, June 29, 2008

Vibrating stop signs can be cool!

Normally I wouldn't blog about such a mundane experience as a 3 1/2 mile run, but yesterday was my first run outside since the accident and with my vision even a casual jog up the street becomes...trippy.
You know how your body bounces a little with each step as you run? (Duh.) What we never stop to think about is how all the other objects stay rooted where they are. Why? Because mailboxes and front porches don't move in real life.
Not for me. Within a few yards it became clear what this run would be like: My vision bouncing like anyone else's, and everything else around me bouncing too. I felt like I was on acid, watching parked cars and driveways jarring themselves loose from stagnation, sometimes bouncing into double images, sometimes staying together. The world was a Mexican jumping bean.
Before long I figured out what I needed to do. I kept reminding myself,
"Jenn, just remember that these things are not moving in real life. Just keep running. As for your inability to gauge if the sidewalk is sloping up or down, just try not to biff it. And if you do, thank goodness your lobster made you carry your driver's license and her phone number on a post-it because she doesn't let you to leave the house without them anymore."
Clearly, it was more an exercise of the mind than of the legs. Which is why I'm taking a rest day today.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Holy Rusty Metal Batman! I just read the whole story. I am glad you are safe!