Sunday, September 16, 2007

Brigg's and Al's Memorial Run for Children's Hospital

I know it's not a triathlon, but it's not like adultery to do other events, is it?

Al's Run has become a fall-time tradition for me. I've run it with friends, by myself, and (this year) with my new in-laws. Erika, her mom and brother did the 5-mile walk (mom is training for a half-marathon, so this was literally and figuratively a walk in the park for her), while my new father-in-law Dan and I did the 5-mile run. The weather was perfect for running with temps hovering around 50 degrees, but it made for an amusing pre-race dilemma: should I wear pants? Shorts? Shorts under pants and then take them off? Honey, will you carry my fleece? Why didn't I bring mittens? My, that breeze is crisp!
I love the entertainment along the route for Al's Run. There was a choir or two, several groups of high school cheerleaders enthusiastically cheering in formation, some bagpipers, and quite a few 2-3 person bands playing inspirational cover songs by Survivor or Fleetwood Mac. The volunteers are all so upbeat and supportive, the water stations are well stocked and well staffed, and overall it's a very organized race given the fact that tens of thousands of participants flock the Milwaukee streets to run, walk, or push their strollers every year.

If you can, I recommend runninng or walking for Al.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, dude. You have a blog!

(Dude. THE HAAAAAAAM.)