Sunday, September 16, 2007

So what's an O supposed to eat, anyway?

Erika and I were hanging out with her fam before Al's Run yesterday when Tracy (the mom) casually says to me:

"You're type O, right?"

By this, she means Blood Type O. We know this because we are very aware of the fact that she has found a new book, "Eat Right 4 Your Type", that theorizes that there are "highly beneficial", "neutral", and "avoid" foods for each blood type depending on how easily digestible they are. Furthermore, the book postulates that sticking to the good list and avoiding the bad list will metabolize the body into a fat-burning machine and losing weight will be easier than ever. But anyway, back to Tracy:

Me: "Yes..."

Tracy: "Well, I read in my Eat for your Type book about Type O's and how they generally have issues with retaining and losing belly fat."

(Erika has now formed a sly grin, as she has listened to me complain for years about my stupid belly and how my boob size has halved itself but my belly remains constant.)

Tracy: "Anyway, the book says there's one thing that Type O's should cut out of their diets to make belly fat come off."

(Erika is now grinning. It is clear that they had just had this very conversation and she knew exactly where it is going.)

Me: "Oh yeah? What's that?" (I say reluctantly. I'm expecting her to say the one thing I'd never ever want to live without, like pasta, red meat, or beer.)

Tracy: "Gluten!"

She goes on to say that gluten seems to have the opposite effect of fat-burning on Type O's--it will actually slow your metabolism and cause fat storage. She says that some Type O's who have changed nothing else in their diet or exercise regimen except eliminate gluten still watched weight come off.

Hm. I have mixed feelings.

On the one hand, since it's been nearly a year since Erika was diagnosed with gluten intolerance we are both extremely well-versed on gluten-free products, recipes, and alternatives already. In fact, most of the dinners we share are gluten-free as it is, and I prefer them. On the same hand, I hate my belly fat. I've struggled with it for years and I'm sick and freakin' tired of trying everything in the book to get rid of it.

On the other hand....Starbucks Mocha Frappuccinos. Subway (eat fresh). Beer. (Well, there's gluten-free beer, but it's harder to find and rarely in bars.) Convenience. Easy eating.

After much deliberation and a little research (I read the section of Tracy's book on Type O's), I decided it's worth a shot. Starting today I'm going to eat and drink gluten-free for one month to see if I notice a difference in my weight and/or belly.

I'm sure you're on the edge of your seat.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

1) Um, hello? Why didn't you tell me you have a BLOG?! Do I mean nothing to you?!
2) I love the blog!
3) This post made me giggle. For some reason, I can totally picture E's mom saying that stuff to you.
4) Hi Jenn!
5) Hi Erika! (b/c I'm sure you're reading this.)
6) Your wedding gift? It's still sitting on my dining room table. One of these days I'll make it to the post office before it closes to purchase some stamps.