Saturday, August 18, 2007

Door County Triathlon--7/22/07

My swimsuit was barely dry from Danskin when my mom called me, letting me know that in a casual conversation with a friend of hers, it came up that her friend's son signed up for the Door County Triathlon but now couldn't participate, and did I want to take his spot? I knew I wanted to do another one, but only two weeks later? I debated about half an hour before deciding to do it.

Swim Route--**** A quarter-mile out-and-back in Green Bay, well marked,guarded with a fleet of lifeguards and boats and such, and clear, (relatively) calm water. I will say this: COLD. On race day the Long Course (Olympic length) athletes were required to wear wet suits for their swim; we (the Sprint length athletes) were not, for our water was a balmy 68 degrees. But hey--after the first 20 yards or so you can't feel your arms or legs anymore, and then you're just on numb autopilot anyway. And we live in Wisconsin--we've been cold before, right?

Bike Route--**** This was a very pretty, tree-lined route hugging the Green Bay shoreline. The road was flat and smooth, and I especially appreciated the bottle exchange about 3/4 through, in which I grabbed a new bottle of Gatorade. I'm all about free stuff.

Run Route--**** 1/2 Also very flat, this was an out-and-back on a road (mostly) closed off to traffic but with no shade. Two water stations were posted at miles One and Two.

Goody Bag--**** Nice T-shirt, great hair ties, cool medal at the finish, and a nice scented Door County candle to boot!

Accomodations/Parking--***** Very easy to park, and the walk to the race was less than a quarter mile.

Volunteers/Staff/Spectators--***** Great energy up there.

I really enjoyed Danskin, but I really enjoyed Door County. It helped that I had a better race in D.C. too; I hydrated better on the bike and therefore didn't feel vomitous on the run. It's nice to see real improvement in your time from race to race, so of course I was growing increasingly motivated for another one. Look at me! I'm getting better!

No comments: