Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Oshkosh Triathlon--8/12/07

Before I begin...big shout-out to my beyonce', who bought me the registration for this race for my birthday. Thanks honey!

Swim route **** A simple out-and back swim in pretty warm water. I liked how the swimmers stayed to the left of the buoys; a simple thing, really, but this way I see the buoys every time I turn my head (to the right) to breathe, and it really helped for swimming in a straight line. This was also the race where I learned that sliding yourself directly behind the swimmer in front of you (without getting kicked in the face) really helps. Having his/her current to help pull you along is a nice little perk.

Bike route ** The route itself was alright hill-wise. There were no mile markers along the route--not one--so I had no gauge of how well I was doing except that it seemed everyone in the race was zipping on past me. It turned out that my bike time was okay, but I didn't know that until the very end. Likewise, there were about half a dozen spots on the route where the road made 90 degree turns--no big deal, except that half the road was blocked off so I needed to brake on several turns (not necessary if I'm able to make a wider turn) and once or twice got cut off from other bikers (unintentionally, I'm sure). It disrupted my "race chi". Or something like that.

Run route *** A normal, flat loop on roads; two water stations provided.

Staff/Spectators/Volunteers * This race was strange (and Erika and her parents will concur) in that the workers as well as spectators were eerily quiet. There were times when I passed whole packs of people just hanging out and watching athletes go by without saying anything. And the volunteers/workers were diligent at the water stations, but there simply weren't enough of them.

Goody Bag ** I know this sounds superficial, but I was disappointed that I didn't receive a finisher's medal! I LIKE MY BLING!! And I was surprised to see that this was the first goody bag with no water bottle and no swim cap. I have enough of both, but I like them as keepsakes, you know?

Accomodations/Parking *** Parking is on the street, anywhere you can find it. We got lucky and found spots relatively close. I collected my packet, got body marked, and picked up my chip within five minutes on race morning, so that was nice.

Overall I clocked a good time (for me), but it's probably not a race I'll do again.

Onto the Lake Geneva triathlon!

4 comments:

Triseverance said...

Just found your blog off of Beginners Triathlete.com I raced this race at the Olympic Division. Nice blog and nice to meet you.

Jenn said...

Thanks. If you have any other races to recommend I'd love to hear about them.

Jenica said...

I was there too!

And at the Danskin. It was my first and I'm sadly hooked. I already registered for Pewaukee next year.

Jenn said...

I've heard good things about that race, and living only half an hour away I'm thinking I'll be there too.

:)