Thursday, August 16, 2007

The Training Schedule

Okay, so I've committed to do a triathlon. And now I have options:

-Find a training schedule on the Internet that won't put me in the hospital and doesn't contain "advanced triathlete" terms like "Brick Bike-Run Stagger 40/60", OR

-Make up my own training schedule.

The key here is self awareness. Some people can design their own workouts, stick to them, and train really well. They appreciate the freedom in their working-out regimen. But I knew that if I made up my own schedule, it would look something like this:

MONDAY--Run 20 min
TUESDAY--Bike 20 min
WEDNESDAY--Sit on the couch
THURSDAY--Go to the gym with every intention of swimming half a mile; end up in the hot tub instead
FRIDAY--Have a few beers with friends because "it's been a rough week"
SATURDAY--Attempt to recover from the few beers I had on Friday
SUNDAY--Feel guilty for all the slacking; vow to do better next week

And that would never do. I needed the structure of a schedule printed out in front of me that I couldn't negotiate with or compromise. So instead of justifying all the slacking, my inner dialogue would instead say:

"Time to go work out."
"I don't wanna."
"The schedule says 'Bike 30 Run 30'."
"That's a lot."
"But you have to do it."
"Why?"
"It's on the schedule."
Sigh.

And away I go to work out.

Fortunately, I knew just where to go for the kind of schedule I needed--Hal Higdon. Hal Higdon posts training schedules mainly for marathons and half-marathons, but I found one for triathlons as well. I like his schedules because a.) they're free; and 2.) they cater to all levels, especially the beginner. I found his Tri-Fast training schedule and began following it to the letter. Only 8 weeks of this and I'll be a triathlete!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I'm craving beer and cake and a good sit on the couch? Just kidding. Your blog rules all.