Sunday, March 9, 2008

Derail me, please.

I'm sitting in a coffee shop with my decaf mocha and my laptop alongside my Lobster, whose nose is buried deep in her homework. The scene is almost identical to last Sunday. My life has gone like this for quite a while lately--sailing along uneventfully, predictably, smoothly. Perhaps that's why I feel so bleh.

On the other hand, others around me have endured the Life Disruptions we don't care for. You know the kind. The ones that come suddenly and abruptly, demanding time and resources you don't have because your life is a moving train and derailing it ain't easy. My Lobster missed 3 days' work last week for a "viral sore throat" (or something like that; she just calls it "swallowing 2X4s with rusty nails jutting out of them"). One of our Kindergarten teachers was out all week for Influenza A. A friend of mine had his car broken into and radio bashed in. Another is having surgery on her sinuses next Wednesday. No one looks forward to these kind of interruptions.

As winter drones on, it's becoming clearer to me why I love Spring and Summer so much; the outdoors and the free time are conducive to creating Life Disruptions that erase the winter blehs. This summer two good friends are getting married, and it will be the first gay wedding we've attended besides our own. I have five triathlons lined up, each one promising to be a fresh jolt of life. A trip to the Badlands with three dear friends awaits us in August if we can only get our calendars to line up. It all can't come soon enough.

I guess I should count my blessings; I've been tooling along without any major Life Disruptions for a while now. And the flip side? I've been tooling along without any Life Disruptions for a while now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, whenever I'm in the midst of disaster I yearn for the good old days when I was bored silly. I guess that's life for you.

(The Badlands?? Soooo jealous.)