Sunday, April 6, 2008

Onward and Upward!

About a month ago I embarked on a twice-a-week 7-exercise core workout to try and minimize my floppiness. Each exercise involved 2-3 sets of unique body contortions, one of which defies gravity in ways no human with knees is able. It's true--they call it The Matrix. I'm glad to report that after four weeks, I do notice a difference; not in the mirror, but in my posture and in my ability to do said gravity-defying acts. There's only one problem. I am now bored with them and I'm going to cut them off. But it's okay, because I have a replacement challenge. I stumbled across Krista's push-up throwdown challenge the other day and it sounds right up my alley. Buff arms? Yep, want 'em. Solid core? Need it. Short enough time span to keep my interest? Two weeks should do it. The basics, straight from Krista:

ODD days - Do 100 push ups in as few sets as possible in addition to your regularly scheduled workout of cardio exercises. You can still do upper body workouts on these days if you are already on a program. This is a supplemental 100 push-ups using maximum repetition sets (2 x 50, 4 x 25 … it’s your choice how you get to 100).
EVEN days - Do 100 push-ups throughout the day. This can be little sets of ten done every half hour or fifty push-ups done twice times throughout the day.
How it Works - Today, see how many push-ups you can do in one try. Then starting tomorrow, repeat the ODD/EVEN routine for a total of 10 days. Then take three days off from push-ups. On day 14, give yourself the push-up test and see how many you can do.


So it's on. After I vaccuum (because I've put it off long enough and Erika is starting to get irritated), I'm doing my push-up test today. I'm so excited I could pee.

UPDATE: I did it! Twenty push-ups. I can only get better. I wonder what it would have been if I hadn't vaccuumed...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been really wanting to try the push-up challenge too, but keep putting it off. I should suck it up and start today.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I thought Krista was completely insane and now I know you are, too.

Nutter.